|Date Posted||May 13, 2021|
This position offers you the opportunity to make an impact as you lead a sales team to ever-higher levels of performance and also recommend and implement new approaches and strategies. This district includes markets with high potential for revenue growth, and you will showcase your ability to increase market share by developing innovative sales strategies to target end users and distributors. You and your team will represent a high-profile brand with a commitment to quality and performance that has earned us a strong reputation within the professional contractor community.
Reporting to the Regional Vice President of Sales, as District Sales Manager you will provide leadership to a team of skilled Territory Managers and your overall mission will be to maximize the sales, market share, and profitability of the company product lines. You'll work with all parts of the company to ensure that field execution is adequate and consistent with corporate and regional objectives.
You'll need to motivate and maintain your district team's focus of 5 -10 Territory Managers in their individual markets who will be required to work with distributors, dealers, pro suppliers and strategic end users in the commercial construction channels. You will continually challenge the field sales team to search out growth opportunities through key professional dealers and impactful end-users. Targeting and incorporating various sales programs to provide a push & pull-through sales strategy to gain market penetration.
Essential Job Duties
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty to satisfactory standards. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Communicating corporate sales objectives and motivating the district sales team to effectively achieve these goals.
- Effectively communicating progress toward targeted corporate sales objectives to the Regional Sales Manager (RSM).
- Ensuring the district sales team executes the following at a high level: sales promotions, marketing events, training opportunities, and end-user targeting.
- The direct support of certain key target accounts warranting professional sales management.
- A high level of personal involvement with key end user accounts.
- Attaining district sales goals in relation to overall sales, target account sales, key product sales and sales support of key marketing initiatives.
- Ensuring all district sales team members go through the necessary training to enable them to execute at a high level.
- Conducting joint sales calls with district team members to evaluate their competency, as well as to help them improve their skills.
- Obtaining, and reporting to the RSM as well as the appropriate marketing team member, any relevant information concerning the competition.
- Assisting the marketing team with obtaining marketing information for existing product life cycles and new product development.
- Interviewing potential sales employees, working with the RSM in identifying the best candidates and helping to prepare a bench of future district sales managers, assistant district sales managers, and national account managers.
- Reviewing sales employee performance opportunities and working with those team members to put together plans to correct the opportunity.
- Working with your assistant district sales manager to help prepare them for the next level.
- Maintaining a highly professional image and positioning yourself as a consulting expert regarding Makita products.
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Very strong Listening Skills; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- A track record of success in sales management, including training and motivating sales professionals to improve performance.
- Will need to be willing and able to travel overnight 2-3 days per week.
This position will often work remotely from a home office or a company issued vehicle while out within their given territory. The position will often have an individual visiting construction job sites and/or other outside building locations. The position may sometimes be required to come into the company and work in an open office setting that is quiet, fast paced, fosters continuous learning while operating under high demand/volume.
Some travel is expected for this position, which may include heavy overnight travel based on business necessity.
Education and/or Experience Desired
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor's degree from 4 year college or university.
- 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years of proven business-to-business sales experience, preferably in the commercial, industrial, or residential construction, or other related industry.
This description is based on management's assessment of the requirements and functions of the job as of the date this description was prepared. It is a general guideline for managers and employees, but it does not intend to be an exhaustive list of all of the elements of the job. Management reserves the right to modify the description at any time, or to vary the duties and responsibilities of the job on a temporary or indefinite basis to meet production, scheduling or staffing needs.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, veteran status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, genetic information, medical (including genetic characteristics or cancer diagnosis), actual or perceived sexual orientation, or any consideration protected by federal, state or local laws. All such discrimination is prohibited. Additionally, the Company will provide registered domestic partners with all rights and benefits as required by Law. The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) prohibits employers from requesting or requiring genetic information of an individual or family member of the individual. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities.