|Date Posted||April 28, 2021|
Trades & Services
About the Role
The Maps Routing Engine & APIs Team owns a stack of technologies that produces the best route from point A to point B and predicts time (ETAs) and distance for them. This includes sophisticated routing algorithms with a variety of cost functions, scalable systems to handle over a million QPS and secure and clean APIs for all of Uber to access the above said functionality. We power many Uber products ranging from pickup ETAs, marketplace matching, fares, EATs, Freight, Bicycles and more to come! We collaborate closely with many teams at Uber and run user facing experiments regularly.
You'll be responsible for leading a team of 3-8 engineers. As a manager for this team, you will be responsible for setting the team's roadmap, contribute to architectural design, and help define approaches to scalable and secure APIs. You will be responsible for growing the talent in the team and helping them meet defined objectives.
You'll work closely with the product management, data scientists and other engineering teams to make the team's vision a reality. You'll have the opportunity to lead cross-team efforts, mentor your team members and establish engineering best practices across Uber.
Prior experience in mapping is NOT required. If you have experience building either distributed storage or file systems, high performance real time systems, batch and real time data processing pipelines or public APIs, then you'll fit right in.
What You'll Do
- You will manage a group of motivated and passionate problem solvers. We care about our inclusive and collaborative culture, where everyone can contribute their talent.
- Build world class distributed systems optimized for high throughput and low latency.
- High scalability engineering. Build world class engineering team that builds high throughput and low latency distributed systems. We take ownership in creating elegant and reliable code.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience coding with Java, C++, Python, or Go
- Experience managing engineering teams as a TLM (Tech Lead manager) or hands on EM (Engineering Manager)
- Master's Degree in Computer science or related fields (such as other Sciences or Math)
- At least eight (8+) years of software engineering experience.
- At least two (2+) years of TLM or EM experience leading multi month, multi person projects.
- Ability to create multi year technical roadmaps.
- Must be able to multitask, lead and project manage many projects simultaneously.
- Ability to direct work of junior engineers and create project plans and sprints for the team.
- Experience in API development & building microservices
- Experience designing and deploying high performance, highly scalable distributed systems with extensive monitoring and logging practices
- Ability to work with data scientists to launch and interpret results of experiments. This can involve interacting with large data processing pipelines, distributed data stores, and file systems.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the principles of fault-tolerance, reliability and durability.
- Knowledge of graph traversal algorithms: Dijkstra's, DFS, BFS, A*, contraction hierarchies, etc. is a plus
- Experience building geospatial services and datasets, such as maps data, traffic patterns, etc.
- Good understanding on big data architecture and hands on building pipelines (using e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Hdfs, Kafka, Presto etc.)
- Experience with large-scale data warehousing architecture, data modeling & ML
- Outstanding verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to collaborate and influence across multiple levels of an organization
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form . - provided by Dice