|Date Posted||April 29, 2021|
Call Centre / CustomerService
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Electromechanical Control Department (ECD)'s expertise is in the areas of control system hardware and algorithms for spacecraft and launch vehicles, and specializes in components such as servo mechanisms, thrust vector control, gyroscopes, star trackers, encoders, motors, accelerometers, reaction wheels, fast steering mirrors, GPS receivers, and others. This is a full-time position based in El Segundo, CA.
What You'll Be Doing
- As an engineering specialist in ECD, you will conduct technical studies and experimental investigations to support customer programs
- Technical studies often involve the analysis, simulation, evaluation, or testing of control systems and their components
- Experimental investigations in the Mechatronics Research Laboratory (managed by ECD) may include controller design and implementation, data reduction and visualization, sensor and actuator performance evaluation, and electro-optical systems calibration and alignment
- S/he will lead teams to accomplish the studies and investigations and communicate with internal and government customers, as well as contractors
- You should have strong people management skills which includes: training, motivating and directing employees to optimize workplace productivity and promote professional growth
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Typically (8) years of applicable professional or educational experience is required
- Experienced in laboratory experimentation, developing test strategies, experiment design, and integration and test
- A strong working knowledge of electronics, mechanical design, control systems, inertial sensors, and actuators for spacecrafts and/or launch vehicles
- Experience performing technical tasks, leading technical teams, and effectively supporting multiple programs, government customers, and contractors
- Proficiency with any of the following tools: MATLAB/Simulink, dSPACE, LabVIEW, SolidWorks, C/C++, Python
- Willingness to occasionally travel and to work off-business hours to support customer needs, approximately 10% (as required)
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to provide innovative solutions to challenging technical problems
- Expertise in one or more of the following: servo mechanism performance evaluation, launch vehicle systems (thrust vector control, guidance systems, and/or avionics), space vehicle control systems, mechanical design, structural analysis, dynamics, electronic circuit design and analysis, optics, real-time software development, rapid control prototyping, GPS receiver testing and associated algorithms, small satellite development, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS, UAV, drones), robotics, or system engineering (requirement definition, design and implementation, qualification, and flight)
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of customer, corporate staff, and contractors
- Active Secret clearance with the ability to obtain a TS/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at or by email at . You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement . - provided by Dice