|Date Posted||April 30, 2021|
Trades & Services
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in urban indoor farming. With production farms in Brooklyn, NY, and Grand Rapids, MI (with more to come in 2021!) Square Roots has a mission to bring local, real food to people in cities across the world while empowering the next generation of leaders in our industry.
We're a young company (est. 2016) with the potential and ambition to change the food system in ways that are better for people and the planet as well as profits. Everyone on the Square Roots team-from farmers to software developers, from brand strategists to financial analysts-is ready to make a massive impact in controlled climate farming and the future of the global food industry.
About The Role
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on Maintenance & Facilities Technician to fit seamlessly into our mission-driven, busy team. The ideal candidate will have 1-2 years of technical maintenance experience in an agricultural setting or related field and is ready to hit the ground running with enthusiasm, knowledge, ability and a no-task-too-small attitude.
Working closely with the farm team, this position is responsible for the servicing of our production facility, leading installations, repairs, maintenance and upkeep of the company's farming equipment with oversight from the Facilities Manager. Qualified candidates are proficient in mechanical, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing systems and are able to plan and execute on multiple projects at once. This person will also be responsible for inventory as well as planning and scheduling routine work, including both short- and long-term projects. The right person will also bring a "safety-first" mentality, and will also serve as a back-up delivery driver for our Detroit delivery route.
- Proactively purchase, receive, inventory, & maintenance all farming equipment and supplies, including production supplies, nutrients, chemicals, cleaning supplies, & personal protective equipment
- Assist the Facilities Manager in upgrading & installing new systems & equipment in our farm zones
- Address & repair broken equipment & hardware systems with the health & safety of our team & crops in mind
- Ensure campus security and keep all farm facilities clean, organized, and in safe & working order in coordination with the Facilities Manager & Farm Manager
- Schedule and execute recurring cleaning and preventative maintenance tasks, including deep cleaning, sanitization, and sensor calibration in farm production areas
- Be the primary on-call contact for in-person emergency repairs & maintenance as needed, which may include nights, weekends, holidays, and severe weather events
- Assist with regular farm production tasks as needed
- Serve as a back up delivery driver on our Detroit delivery route
You Have Experience With
- Repairs & maintenance in HVAC, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems
- Familiarity with food safety best practices and chemical safety handling
- Identifying technical issues and implementing both long and short term solutions
- Operating Hi-Lo/forklifts, pallet jacks, and driving larger vehicles
- Experience driving box trucks, CDL, or chauffeur's license a plus
- Understanding of indoor grow systems or similar computer automation processes a big plus
- Passionate about tech-enabled future of farming
- A detail-oriented, outside-of-the-box problem solver with the ability to switch gears quickly and address competing priorities efficiently
- A lifelong learner who enjoys navigating complex issues and finds satisfaction in a job well done
- An effective, professional communicator who prioritizes keeping your team informed
- Not claustrophobic; you're comfortable working inside of shipping containers and unfazed by working safely at heights of 10-25ft
- Enthusiastic about adhering to and enforcing food safety & COVID safety protocols
- Comfortable standing for long hours & able to lift 75lbs regularly
- A safe driver with a clean driving record
You'll Love Working At Square Roots Because
- We're here to change the food system. You'll have the opportunity to play a significant role in our work at the intersection of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only just getting started.
- Our team is driven by a shared set of values. These keep us aligned and remind us how to show up every day in the face of growth and ambiguity. Whether you're working remotely or on the farms, collaboration, respect, optimism and humility are all embraced, and we seek to empower people at every step. Ask us about the rest!
- Benefits and perks, of course. We're all here first and foremost to play our part in the mission, but medical, dental, and vision coverage, and lots of samples of the delicious food we grow certainly do not hurt. 🙂