|Date Posted||April 30, 2021|
Trades & Services
Clayco is a full-service, turnkey real estate development, master planning, architecture, engineering and construction firm that safely delivers clients across North America the highest quality solutions on time, on budget, and above and beyond expectations. With $3.8 billion in revenue for 2020, Clayco specializes in the "art and science of building," providing fast track, efficient solutions for industrial, commercial, institutional and residential related building projects.
Best Places to Work - Crain's Chicago Business, St. Louis Business Journal
ENR - Top Midwest Contractors (#1), Top Design Build Contractors (#5), Top 400 Contractors (#24)
The Role We Want You For
The MEP Commissioning Engineer role is to provide quality control for mechanical, electrical, plumbing design, bidding, and construction for Clayco projects. This includes development of MEP scope documents, MEP bid package development at very early stages of scope development, and subcontractor negotiations. This role also provides document review / leadership to design team and clients, responds to scope modification evaluations during construction, and is the sounding board between original scope and field scope. This role requires some on-site supervision and coordination of the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection subcontractors, to achieve successful completion of construction projects to meet time and cost objectives with respect to quality, contracts, and scheduling. Candidate shall be able to observe work in the field and compare to drawings to insure details are installed per the drawings and specifications and be a key part in developing and implementing the Clayco Commissioning process for all projects.
The Specifics of the Role
- Be able to work on multiple projects at one time.
- Review plans, MEP systems interrelationships, construction sequencing and project schedule.
- Assist in the scope review, budgeting and justification of MEP change work order.
- Validate design issues related to MEP and suggest alternative solutions.
- Liaison with Consultant MEP Engineers, Inspectors and relevant staff.
- Coordinate with clients and Contractor to ensure delivery of contract milestones inline within project specified guidelines.
- Manage planning strategies to achieve project Completion and make available the correct resources.
- Participate actively, be accountable and responsible in the management of site operations.
- Manage and encourage ALL personnel towards the goal of completion objectives of the project.
- Assist in the receipt and review of MEP submittals.
- Coordination and administration of MEP related materials, systems and shop drawings submittals.
- Work with Project management team to direct, monitor and oversee the activities of MEP Subcontractors.
- Assist in Quality Control process of the installation of MEP work.
- Facilitate problem solving, as may arise, between MEP Subcontractors during construction.
- Manage resolution of issues.
- Ensure that MEP Subcontractors provides and adheres to relevant Quality documentation/records.
- Ensure that MEP Subcontractors adheres to Project safety regulations.
- Advise and Consult with clients on Commissioning goals and objectives.
- Advise and Consult with project staff in their commission responsibilities.
- Execute and supervise all activities in accordance with Commissioning guidelines and deadlines.
- Actively Manage day to day operational aspects of project Commissioning and operational responsibility.
- Coordinate between construction management and subcontracted personnel related to Commissioning scope.
- Assist in the testing and commissioning of MEP equipment.
- Manage and update project records and reports across different departments of the project consistently.
- Promote project and client quality safety and environmental standards through best practice through project to ensure zero harm to personnel, plant, equipment and the environment.
- Be willing to travel one or two nights a week, or be assigned a specific out of town project for two to three months.
- 8-12 years' experience in the field or building mechanical/electrical commissioning experience
- Bachelors in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (preferred)
- Have commissioning experience or certification of ASHRAE or BCA
- Know plumbing and fire protection field and Commissioning requirements through experience and supplemental training courses
- Know electrical systems basics and have a good working knowledge of NEC for field reviews and Commissioning requirements/testing
- Solid/strong working knowledge/experience/background of control systems, BACNet, Tridium networks, and overall "systems" functional testing sequences, steps, procedures, and integration
- Knowledge of air and water testing/adjusting/balancing procedures and expectations.
- Knowledge in fire alarm systems and integration
- Working knowledge of architectural, structural, civil documents to understand how the mechanical/electrical systems are integrated into the building
- Good understanding of Specifications Divisions and where to go in the various sections in coordinating responsibilities and various testing and documentation requirements of the project
- Understanding of the many common Codes for Building, Plumbing, NFPA (fire, electrical, etc.), Mechanical, and Life Safety
- Strong working knowledge relationship with computers, laptops, iPad type instruments, Microsoft Office, various M/E industry "Apps"
- Comfortable using common field testing equipment such as infrared cameras, light meters, IAQ meters, etc.