|Date Posted||January 15, 2022|
Principal Environmental Engineer
Situation in organization (position can be located at candidates current site for internal candidates)
Position responsible for providing support to the manufacturing operations with their needs in the areas of environmental management, environmental engineering, regulatory compliance, and training. These services focus on the continuous improvement of environmental performance within Arkema Inc. and affiliates. This role helps ensure that the Environment & Sustainable Development group maintains the expertise and critical skills necessary to provide the value added services to the corporation in order to satisfy the environmental compliance obligations of Arkema Inc. and affiliates in the most cost effective means possible with respect to key business objectives and in compliance with all regulatory requirements. Environmental control systems and compliance have a direct impact on the bottom line results of the corporation. The position works within the Corporate structure to aid and assist plant facilities achieve environmental compliance and excellence. The position is predominantly a consulting role since each site has ultimate responsibility for environmental compliance.
- Provide high quality and cost-effective regulatory and technical expertise to develop and implement major environmental programs and initiatives for all regulatory media, including identifying opportunities to achieve the Company's environmental footprint reduction targets and CSR goals.
- Actively participate in all phases of key environmental projects, including those associated with major capital projects, including regulatory negotiations, budget development and management, consultant/contractor selection and management, conceptual design of environmental control systems, environmental permitting, waste minimization opportunities, public hearings, and presentations to senior management.
- Develop strategies for managing complex or sensitive environmental issues related to specific plant and Business Unit operations, business and corporate initiatives in all compliance and responsible environmental management areas pertinent to the chemical industry. Provide environmental expertise, guidance and support to Arkema Inc. plants and Business Units to assist in maintaining regulatory compliance and achieving environmental objectives.
- Develops innovative permit/compliance strategies for major regulations to minimize financial and operational impact on the Corporation, and implements compliance / program initiatives and environmental assessments across business and operating functions.
- Identify opportunities and take action to implement significant cost reductions (>$1.0M) related to environmental compliance and sustainable growth.
- Support HES activities for major capital projects and other plant investments >$500k, with focus on management of the required environmental permitting, and the Company's environmental footprint reduction targets and CSR goals.
- Counsel and advise senior management in the areas of environmental compliance; CSR topics, environmental management systems; environmental engineering, and environmental management strategies for current operations, divestitures, mergers/acquisitions, capital investments and future regulatory developments.
- Negotiate environmental agreements with Federal and State agencies that could range in total cost up to $5 - 20M for each site or project.
Key Activities and responsibilities
50% Corporate Manufacturing Support:
The position is responsible for the varying environmental matters in relation to manufacturing facility support:
- Provide a variety of environmental engineering services to Arkema manufacturing facilities including permit development/strategy, agency negotiation, engineering calculations, design reviews, training etc.
- Coordinating and performing environmental audits at both Arkema manufacturing facilities and at vendor locations, which provide specialized services to the company.
- Direct, train, motivate, and lead a productive and technically competent team of professionals responsible for carrying out environmental compliance, capital project support, and sustainable development.
- Tracking and addressing environmental performance criteria (i.e. permit excursions, fines, penalties, deficiency notifications etc.) at company manufacturing locations and coordination of corrective actions for improvement.
- Support major capital projects on environmental and CSR aspects, as part of the capital project team.
50% Corporate Environmental Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain technical knowledge in a diverse number of environmental disciplines, e.g., solid/hazardous waste management, wastewater/ groundwater treatment, air pollution control, GHG and carbon footprint calculations, LCA techniques. etc., to manage environmental projects and initiatives in an effective manner.
- Establish and implement environmental objectives for Arkema Inc. and affiliates, which align with worldwide Arkema objectives and allow for sustainable growth. Communicate objectives to stakeholders including top management and business groups and report results.
- Evaluate and select qualified environmental consultants/contractors. Maintain control of project spending and budget in accordance with Corporate Purchasing requirements.
- Lead negotiations with Federal, State, Local agencies and community organizations regarding environmental requirements to achieve reasonable and justifiable results, which are consistent with the corporate strategy. This may need to be accomplished utilizing support from other senior management personnel within Arkema such as the Law, Technology and Public Affairs Departments.
- Support governmental lobbying, communication, implementation and related activities concerning federal and state environmental regulatory actions and/or proposals.
- Provide strategic direction to the group and to senior management in analyzing environmental regulatory requirements, permitting strategies, and sustainable development opportunities and in formulating and executing innovative plans for compliance and sustainable growth.
- Represent Arkema Inc. and affiliates in organizations such as American Chemical Council, Texas Chemical Council and other relevant associations.
Context and environment
Environmental requirements for the chemical industry are ever changing and complex. Compliance can be challenging since many of the regulations differ from state to state. Numerous stakeholders with diverse interests can be involved with environmental compliance including federal, state and local regulatory agencies; community groups and individuals; public interest groups; the media and shareholders. Compliance is crucial since a deficient environmental program can result in excessive expenditures and legal liability if not managed properly. This role also:
- Supports site HES policy and comply with all regulatory and internal requirements
- Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, SafeStart, etc.)
- Support, promote and report all health, safety, environmental, near-miss, accident or injury incidents
The position could require up to 50% travel (including international).
Required Education/Qualifications /Work experience
- Position requires a Chemical Engineering or Environmental Engineering (or related) degree, at least 15 years of experience in the environmental engineering field along with a strong familiarity with the chemical manufacturing industry
- Requires comprehensive technical, regulatory and program expertise in all aspects of environmental management associated with complex chemical manufacturing and treatment/control technologies.
- The candidate should be a recognized corporate/industry-wide authority.
- Experience with project management and leading teams of varying competency levels to accomplish projects
- Advanced written / oral communication skills to develop concise reports and presentations on complex technical matters and major program initiatives.
- Experience effectively negotiating with regulatory agency officials conduct audits and relay audit findings.
- Advanced skills in spreadsheet software.
- Accomplishes assignments/goals/objectives with minimal supervision and direction.
- The jobholder must possess the ability to multi-task, along with the capability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with employees at all levels, contractors, vendors and other third parties.
- While most of the activities are self-directed, there is a need to closely coordinate and team with other HES staffers, and other key functions in the company, e.g., operations, law, business, senior management.
- Must be able to define and carry out practical technical approaches, which are dynamic, innovative and integrated with sound business management principles, fiscal responsibility, risk management techniques, and strong communications skills.
Building on its unique set of expertise in materials science, Arkema offers a portfolio of first-class technologies to address ever-growing demand for new and sustainable materials. With the ambition to become in 2024 a pure player in Specialty Materials, the Group is structured into three complementary..... click apply for full job details