|Date Posted||January 15, 2022|
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
To ensure the health and safety of all PacBio employees and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview and onboarding experience
Title: Principal Mechanical Engineer
Based: San Diego, California, US
Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc. (NASDAQ: PACB) is helping scientists forge a better understanding of biology by providing both a unique long-read sequencing and short-read sequencing technology that generates more complete and accurate data, giving them more insights. Our sequencing systems allow scientists to characterize genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes from any organism. Scientists use our technology in areas such as human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Become part of the new paradigm in long-read and short-read sequencing and help shape the future of genomic study by joining the PacBio team.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to provide technical leadership expertise to the design and development of complex hardware pertaining to novel sequencing platforms. This position will involve guiding instrument and consumable architecture across a collaborative cross functional team to design, prototype and qualify innovative hardware solutions to meet product development deliverables. This individual will help to foster the growth of the Mechanical Engineering function and team members by introducing best practices and expanding the team's capabilities. The role requires a broad grasp of opto-mechanics, thermal and fluidic systems, electro-mechanics, control software and firmware along with understanding of chemistry and biology. The successful candidate should possess a strong aptitude for creative design, be resourceful, detail oriented, and work comfortably within team environment.
- Drive the execution of product development deliverables toward system architecture, user needs, requirements, specifications, design verification and risk management (FMEAs, Hazard Analysis, etc.)
- Provide technical leadership for project teams, coordinating large groups of multi-disciplined engineers
- Create and mature internal design best practices and processes toward continued improvement of mechanical engineering
- Establish and maintain strong partnership with marketing, new product introduction, quality, field service and operations to help guide project teams toward optimal customer/user experience
- Ability to collaborate with external partners and vendors in design, sourcing, and timely delivery of integrated hardware to efficiently introduce new products to market
- Researches, develops, designs and evaluates mechanical and electro-mechanical hardware to integrate into commercial biomedical instrumentation
- Leads investigations of mechanical issues and failures, and applies relevant techniques including design of experiments, computational simulations (FEA) and failure analysis
- Identifies and initiates programs which result in innovative application of existing or new products or technologies
- Technical expert helping shape engineering excellence within mechanical discipline
EDUCATION, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 15+ years of related experience with a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, within product development R&D or new product development, majority involved in development of complex instrument hardware for commercial products
- Demonstrated experience in leading cross functional teams by collaboration, relationship building and influence to help teamwork toward common goals
- Significant experience in manufacturing processes such as rapid prototyping, machining, injection molding, sheet metal
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical engineering design principles and practices such as tolerance stack analysis, GD&T, drafting standards, FEA, design for assembly, design for manufacturing
- Desired deep design experience across broad mechanical systems (opto-mechanics, thermal, fluidic and/or electro-mechanical systems in addition to interfacing software and chemistry teams)
- Proficient in 3D modeling software - SolidWorks required
- Experience with PDM and PLM type revision control systems
- Strong hands-on experience and problem-solving skills
- Experience working with product development processes
- Working experience of sequencing and/or medical devices is desired
- Ability to design to regulatory compliance and risk management using tools like FMEA
- Experience with requirement definition and mechanical system architecture
- Experience with mentoring activities of junior engineers
- Demonstrated skills in complex problem solving
- Acts independently to develop or improve mechanical methods and procedures
ATTITUDE & ATTRIBUTES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and guide technical project teams toward critical decisions
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.