|Date Posted||April 30, 2021|
Trades & Services
Who We Are
Michael Baker International is a leading provider of architectural, engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, environmental, construction and program management. The company provides its comprehensive range of services and solutions to support U.S. federal, state, and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker's more than 3,000 employees across nearly 100 locations are committed to a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve challenges for clients and communities throughout the country. To learn more, visit
RAIL AND TRANSIT PRACTICE
Whether moving people or freight, solutions applied to address current and future transport needs will be framed by energy prices, the choices made by today's younger generation to forego auto ownership and live in urban areas, and growing sustainability and environmental concerns. Michael Baker International's approach to helping rail and transit clients meet these challenges is changing as well, with the focus on developing more viable solutions for planning, designing, constructing, operating, financing and sustaining a modern mobility infrastructure that leverage the ever-evolving world of technology. Michael Baker International's professionals provide value by first understanding our clients' needs, then working with them as partners to identify innovative and cost-effective solutions that optimize their opportunities for success. Consistently ranked by Engineering News-Record as a Top 25 rail & transit design firm, Michael Baker International has the expertise to deliver modern infrastructure systems with a budget conscious approach.
In addition, Michael Baker International has addressed bridge design, construction and preservation challenges with innovative and sustainable solutions. Exemplifying its depth and versatility in the bridge space, Michael Baker International, ranked Number 5 by Engineering News-Record in its 2020 annual ranking of Bridge Design Firms in the United States, has partnered with clients on a full spectrum of bridge types-from conventional grade separations to major, complex river crossings, including trusses, arches, box girders and cable-stayed bridges.
Michael Baker is seeking a talented Bridge Engineer with a specialization in railroad bridge design and rehabilitation to help make a difference in our Rail and Transit Specialty Practice. The candidate will report up through our Cleveland, OH office. Consideration will be given to full-time remote work for exceptional candidates. The ideal candidate will demonstrate significant experience on railroad projects for Class I railroads and be able to support projects and offices across the country for railroads, transit agencies and DOT's. Responsibilities will include:
- Railroad bridge design and detailing tasks incorporating AREMA Manual for Railway Engineering practices
- Structural analysis and preparation of structural engineering calculations
- Bridge evaluations including inspections and load ratings
- Engineering investigations including feasibility and type studies with cost and risk analysis
- Use of advanced bridge analysis/design software including LEAP Products, MDX, MIDAS, as well as Mathcad and excel spreadsheets
- Preparation of construction plans using Microstation
- Preparation of construction specifications
- Review of shop drawings
- Management of project deadlines for on-time submittals
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal skills and problem-solving ability
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently as well as within a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interface with clients
- Bachelor's degree in Civil / Structural Engineering, required
- Master's degree in Structural Engineering, preferred
- 7+ years of experience in bridge design and rehabilitation with a railroad specialization
- Experience with Freight Railroad bridge design
- PE license required and ability to obtain NCEES record preferred
- Strong bridge and retaining wall technical experience with ability to complete projects on time and within budget
- Experience with AREMA
- Aptitude and Interest in performing Task Management and staff development
- Experience with office software and structural design/analysis software
MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENT
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.
US-GA-Atlanta, US-WI-Milwaukee, US-MN-Minneapolis, US-IL-Chicago, US-MI-Detroit, US-IN-Indianapolis, US-KY-Louisville, US-PA-Pittsburgh, US-MO-Kansas City, US-MO-St. Louis