|Date Posted||April 28, 2021|
The Engineering Manager is a senior member of the Lendlease Google Development Ventures (GDV) District Systems team. The team is focused on supporting each of the Lendlease GDV mixed use Districts in the South Bay in partnership with Google, as well as the establishment of the District Systems business as part of our obligations to Google. The Lendlease team provide Google with development management services including masterplanning, engineering, procurement, financial modelling, contract negotiation, process management and policy advice. A key challenge for the District Systems team is achieving the appropriate balance between the business creation and the specific project level technical, regulatory, and financial requirements
The role of the Senior Engineering Manager is to provide or procure technical and associated regulatory, financial and expertise to the GDV District Systems team across the life cycle of the projects. This will include guidance on the following District Systems asset classes, Microgrids, District Heating and Cooling, Waste Water Treatment and Recycled Water systems, Solid Waste Technologies, Fiber deployment and Controls, Geothermal, Renewable energy including PV and battery storage. The role performs specific technical advisory and review in support of projects and assets as well as general verification and assurance tasks in response to the technical risk exposure of Lendlease GDV/Google.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
· Establish clear accountabilities and efficient working arrangements with the Head of Place Systems, development, and commercial mangers, to ensure efficient and seamless coverage in accordance with agreed stakeholder engagement protocols
· Reporting to and participating in certain review and decision-making forums.
· Management of environmental performance of the assets through the entitlement, design and permitting of the project, ensuring that performance briefs provide clarity to the respective delivery and construction teams.
· Lead regulatory submissions for licenses and registrations to support the onward development and operation of the systems in accordance with all applicable regulatory and code requirements.
· Draft specifications for performance or design
· Participate in risk assessments or processes and tasks (Risks and Opportunities at Design) through the origination and development Compass gates
· Identify, document and maintain risks within corporate systems associated with Lendlease GDV and Google' activities and ensure 'management controls' are effectively implemented
· Addressing Global Minimum Requirements in the design to ensure that safety measures are adequately integrated into documentation and technical documents.
· Member of the Lendlease GDV District Systems Investment Review Group and Project Control Group for project and operating assets
· Support and control technical and cost input into investment and business submissions to Google.
· Conduct and report on the outcomes arising from audits and investigations related to technical or asset performance issues
· Create a technical / performance framework for an asset owner/acquirer to support the ongoing management of the District Systems for all resources through the life cycle.
· Ensure that Lendlease GDV approach to assessing and managing technical risk is codified and embedded within our core processes
· Review contract documentation and supporting background documentation to ensure that technical requirements are effectively captured
· Review submissions/deliverables against the technical specifications
· Prepare and provide reports on global and local best practice, including the activities of Lendlease's competitors
· Optimize and implement the appropriate procurement arrangements to support the achievement of technical advisory and assurance support - identify, select, engage, maintain vendors/suppliers
· Assess the needs and implement the internal and external commercial arrangements to bring life to the procurement arrangements
· Represent Lendlease at industry forums or working groups
· Plan and prepare submissions on issues associated with technical policies in the jurisdictions that Lendlease GDV/Google operates, where existing policies or proposed changes prevent (or present a risk to) the parties achieving their strategic and commercial objectives
· Establishing relationships with and putting in place arrangements for the rapid engagement of technical consultancies needed to provide advice and/or assurance around Lendlease GDV technical solutions, including maintaining and updating guidance on 'who to use when'
· Compile and review technical assumptions for the economic assessment of investment opportunities
· Maintain relevant metrics and benchmarks to support technical analysis and investment decision making
· Assess cost/benefit trade-offs for technical solutions to support decision making and commercial assessment of investments
· Create capital plan for assets - including leading the establishment and governance of all cost plans for assets.
· Support the development and ongoing maintenance of the strategic asset management plan for each asset and implement the technical assurance program associated with and in accordance with that asset management plan
· Coordination of technical reporting requirements to owners, regulators and other third parties
· Ensure technical capability to provide services to customers at commencement; participate in GO/NO-GO decision making forums
· Assurance of decisions related to:
· extension of services
· assessment of asset performance and condition
· replacement technology
· technology obsolescence
· Technical architecture of billing, establishing relationships and partnerships
General Background and Minimum Requirements
· Degree qualification in engineering and membership of a professional engineering accreditation body
· Experience in the engineering, sustainability or facilities management industry, preferably in USA (Global experience also desirable) with a sound awareness of the District Systems and resources market current state and future opportunities
· Can evidence experience in all areas of Engineering and Business competencies with emphasis on the key competencies outlined below
· Demonstrated ability to form sound working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
· Demonstrated ability to work under limited direction and use initiative and judgement and flexibility and adaptability in order to work under pressure to balance urgency and importance
· Entrepreneurial and commercial skills at a high level to define, champion and progress project objectives.
· Project management skills to ensure project objectives are delivered on time and within budgets.
· Leadership, problem solving, organizational planning skills.
· Ability to work in a matrix environment; ability to work collaboratively without needing to control resources in order to deliver outcomes.
· Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills, able to build trusting and respectful relationships with all levels of employees while driving results in their areas.
· First class decision making and influencing skills.
· Ability to act professionally and build trust, i.e. build partnerships/ relationships.
· Ability to adjust rapidly and frequently to new situations, able to help others accept and adapt to change.
· Ability to maintain a calm and positive attitude to inspire project teams regardless of the challenges of delivering complex and large-scale mixed-use projects.
Key Capability Listing
· Demonstrate a level of experience in: Technical design, Asset operations and Investment/opportunity analysis and presentation
· Demonstrated proficiency in operating word processing programs, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills particularly in relation to negotiation, persuasion/influencing and change management
· Demonstrated inter-personal and relationship-building skills in dealing with stakeholders in the formulation of policies and implementation of strategies
· strong attention to detail and a willingness to ensure advice and input is as precise as possible
· a passion for generating value for internal and external customers
· the discipline to manage deadlines and prioritize work by being flexible and adaptable to external pressures
· curiosity and the ability to analyze all relevant information & identify appropriate and effective solutions to problems within commercial constraints
· a willingness to help others, work in teams and have fun
· courage to challenge the norm using innovation to deliver solutions that drive a high- performance culture
·knowledge sharing and patience to support fellow Lendlease colleagues develop their own understanding of the role's domain of expertise